Leaking Taps? What’s the best thing to do repair or replace?
The internet has massive amounts of information on How to Fix Leaking taps. The question is – Is it worth It?
At MYTAP we have a pretty simple answer especially if your tap is out of warranty. It’s not worth it and much better to replace it.
Wall-mounted taps are a potential exception to the rule as the cost of breaking and replacing wall tiling can be an expense. But in most cases, it is simply not worth trying to fix leaking taps especially sink and basin mixers.
Why Replace Your Leaking Taps
- Taps that are old are not going to last much longer even after a repair. You will be paying for another plumber service callout again very soon.
- Your old tap is probably wasting water and wasting your money too. Not only wasting the amount of water you use but the amount of water you heat.
- Modern Tapware Technology uses less water so uses less energy. They are more efficient.
- It is quicker and simpler to replace the tapware than try and repair it. A plumber might charge $190 to fully service your tap so it doesn’t leak anymore and flows again nicely. The problem is that the actual casing may not last much longer and so that $190 is simply wasted. For a small amount extra you can get new efficient tapware fitted with a long 7-year warranty for future peace of mind.
Best practice for replacing leaking tapware
- It may seem a good idea to take a trip to Bunnings, say, and get a good looking cheap replacement and get the cheapest quote to fit it. Not very sensible. Looks are not everything and price is definitely not everything.
- 1-year warranty products are really not worth it. Why – well they will fail after 1 year for sure and you are then spending more money again. Bunning’s or other 1-year warranty products will cost you more in the end.
- If a product has 5-star ratings and 1-star ratings you need to be careful. The 5 stars are usually posted just after they have been installed and everything seems OK. The 1 star is posted after they have been used a bit and usually say “Do not buy this product” “Cheap Rubbish” “Broke after 3 months”
- Don’t be fooled by price. Length of Warranty is the better guide. Select products with long warranties and recognised brands. The extra expense will not be as much as getting a plumber to fit another cheap tap one year later.
The MYTAP Tapware Supply and Install Service.
The MYTAP philosophy is to provide the best value quality products with quality plumbing servicing.
- We only use top brands like Phoenix Tapware and Parisi
- All MYTAP tapware have a 7-year manufacturers Product and Parts Warranty
- We are so confident of our qualified plumber’s work we provide a 2-year warranty
- You will only deal with one company – MYTAP. No plumbing company for one aspect and another company for warranty issues. MYTAP deals with everything.
- All our plumbers are Police Checked and are 100% fully qualified.
- We provide AfterPay instalment payments to help spread the expense.
Why Supply and Install
- If we can do all parts of a job we can pass on to our customers the best possible deals
- You the customer will only have to deal with MYTAP for all aspects of the job and after service. No conflicts of interest
- Our plumbers turn up to your property with all the materials required to do the job. There is no 2nd visit. The job is completed on the day. That’s because we control the supply and the installation of the products and know exactly what is needed.
- No hidden extras. No callout charges. Just one price for the whole job